Categories
BLOG

nc lottery office

Lottery Office Reopens After COVID-19 Precautionary Closing

The NC Education Lottery reopened its office Tuesday and said there were no confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported at the office.

    Kimberly Johnson , Patch Staff

CHARLOTTE, NC — The Charlotte office and regional claim center for the North Carolina Education Lottery reopened Tuesday following a temporary shut down after two employees reported possible COVID-19 symptoms. As of Tuesday, no confirmed cases of COVID-19 had been reported, lottery officials said in a statement.

The claim center was open for about 90 minutes on July 24, from 9 a.m. until 10:30 a.m., before the abrupt closure.

“As a precaution, the lottery is notifying all those who presented claims during that time and encouraging anyone else who visited Friday morning to self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19,” NCEL said in a July 24 statement.

The lottery office was also deep cleaned over the weekend, it said.

The lottery has numerous protocols in place meant to protect workers and the public, it said.
“All lottery employees working with the public wear masks and gloves at all times while at work. Claim centers employees are separated from visitors by a glass window, talk with visitors through a microphone, and accept and return tickets and claim forms through a small opening at the base on the window,” NCEL said.

All NCEL claim centers are cleaned daily following state and CDC guidelines, as well as requires visitors wear masks and socially distance.

Lottery Office Reopens After COVID-19 Precautionary Closing – Charlotte, NC – The NC Education Lottery reopened its office Tuesday and said there were no confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported at the office.

NC lottery claim centers, closed since March, reopen with new restrictions

Posted May 14, 2020 10:15 a.m. EDT
Updated May 14, 2020 10:18 a.m. EDT

Raleigh, N.C. — The North Carolina Education Lottery reopened its claim centers Monday with some new safety guidelines in place.

Winners of large lottery prizes have not been able to get their prizes in person since March, when the claim centers closed per the statewide stay-at-home order.

According to the N.C. Education Lottery, lottery winners have collected more than $11.8 million in prizes, including a $2 million Powerball prize and two $1 million scratch-off prizes, since the offices reopened.

“We’ve had many lucky winners lately and we’re glad to get these prizes to them,” said lottery director Mark Michalko. “We also appreciate how well lottery players are following our safety guidelines so that everyone can claim their prizes safely.”

All claim centers will follow strict safety guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19, including:

  • Spacing out of visitors, only allowing a few inside at a time
  • Asking anyone who enters the claim center to wear a mask or facial covering (one will be provided to people who don’t have one)
  • Lottery employees will wear masks and gloves
  • Social distancing, keeping people at least six feet apart from others

Winners of lottery prizes on tickets expiring between March 10 and Aug. 1 have until Nov. 1 to claim them, officials said. The claim centers, located in Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, Greenville, Wilmington and Asheville, are only open for winners to claim prizes. No ticket sales are occurring there.

Winners of smaller prizes can collect prizes at stores that sell lottery tickets.

The North Carolina Education Lottery reopened its claim centers Monday with some new safety guidelines in place. ]]>