Putting Safety First
Last updated: 8/13/20
Customer Service Centers reopened
Starting Tuesday, August 18, in order to provide a safe environment for those who might be more vulnerable to COVID-19, the Lottery will reserve 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. each Tuesday at our Customer Service Centers for players over 60 to file claims.
The Virginia Lottery is pleased to welcome players back to its Customer Service Centers.* To continue to promote public health and safety, we have adjusted our claims process. Here is everything you need to know before visiting us in person:
*Prize Zone at 600 E. Main St. WILL NOT reopen at this time. Richmond-area winners should visit Prize Zone West at 1620 E. Parham Road.
Arrive no more than 10 minutes prior to the Customer Service Center opening at 8:30 a.m. and wait in your car.
There will be Virginia Lottery employees available to provide social-distancing directions for the claims process.
Download and complete your claim form prior to your visit.
If possible, print and complete the claim form, found here, prior to arriving.
Ensure you have photo ID and proof of SSN.
You will need to present all required documentation in order for us to process your claim as efficiently as possible. Information about acceptable forms of ID can be found here.
Wear a mask or similar face covering.
The Virginia Lottery will continue to follow the latest public health and safety guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Players will be required to wear a mask or similar face covering when visiting any of our Customer Service Centers.
Do not bring guests.
To accommodate social distancing, we are limiting the number of customers in our Customer Service Centers. Please help us accomplish that by not bringing any family or friends with you unless you need their assistance to conduct your transaction.
When you arrive to claim your prize, this will be the process:
- Mask required
- Claim packet will be provided to you
- Return to car to fill out claim form completely
- Sign the back of your ticket
- Have current photo ID
- Have proof of Social Security number: (Social Security card, W-2 tax statement, 2019 tax forms, court papers, military DD214 document or another verifiable residency document). Place documents in packet.
- Circle Visa® Debit Card or Check (if both, indicate amount for each)
- After packet is completed, ask for a ticket for processing and be ready for next space in line.
- No more than 10 people will be allowed in line for an available space which will be designated by a Virginia Lottery decal on the sidewalk.
Play It Safe
The Lottery will continue to sell Lottery games however, social distancing is essential to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Please do not jeopardize your health.
Here are the ways you can play Lottery games safely while enacting social distancing.
- Access Play Now to purchase a ticket for Mega Millions, Powerball and Cash4Life®. Players can purchase tickets on the Virginia Lottery website without ever leaving the house. The Lottery also offers Auto-Renewal to make not missing a drawing easier.
- Fill out a Digital Playslip – The Lottery offers digital playslips within the Lottery app for these games: Pick 3, Pick 4, Cash 5, Mega Millions, Powerball, Cash4Life® and Bank a Million. Just create your play in the app, then tap the Playslip icon instead of Buy Now. These playslips can then be scanned by a retailer or Lottery Vending Machine to produce a game ticket.
- Use the Ticket Checkers – The Lottery offers both a physical and digital ticket checker. You can scan your ticket at the physical Ticket Checkers located at many Lottery retailers. In the Lottery app, there is a digital ticket checker. Scan your ticket, and find out if you’re a winner that way.
- Check Winning Numbers at Home: The Lottery website and Virginia Lottery app both recap winning numbers, and both are great ways to see past winning numbers.
- Take advantage of multi-draw options: All Virginia Lottery draw games offer a multi-draw option. The multi-draw option allows you to play your numbers for multiple consecutive drawings. The number of draws varies per game. Some offer up 26 multi-draws (Cash4Life®, Bank a Million, Mega Millions, Powerball); others offer up to 91 (Pick 3, Pick 4, Cash 5).
- Keno is here – play it safe: Watch the live draws on the Virginia Lottery mobile app or web site.
If you have a winning ticket, congratulations. The Lottery offers players several options to claim winning tickets, but, given the COVID-19 situation, claiming by mail is your safest option.
Claiming winning tickets by mail
If you have a winning ticket, congratulations. The Lottery normally offers players several options to claim winning tickets, but, given the COVID-19 situation, claiming by mail is your safest option.
Please note that the processing time may be longer than usual. For the safety of our employees and with the latest recommendations from health experts in mind, Lottery staff is working remotely, though we are still processing winning ticket payments as quickly as possible.
If you have a winning ticket for which the prize-redemption period expires during the Governor’s declared state of emergency, the Lottery will validate and pay the prize as long as you file your claim by mail or in person at a Customer Service Center no later than 30 days after Virginia’s state of emergency order has been lifted.
Here are the steps to redeem a winning ticket by mail:Customer Service Centers Reopened. The Virginia Lottery is pleased to welcome players back to its Customer Service Centers. ]]>